7.15.2014

Striped Accent Wall

A few weeks ago, Amanda @ Cultivate Create asked me to participate in her Mini Makeover Challenge! Y'all can check it out HERE.  

THE CHALLENGE:  Make over a space in your home without spending a dime...or a penny for that matter.

The minute I got her email about the challenge, I began to think about areas in my home that I could "fluff" with items I had on hand.  Then it donned on me...I had a bunch of half-used paints in the garage and a drab wall in my entryway that could use a little TLC.

Starting point:

We've turned our awkward entryway into a breakfast nook/school space.  We spend a lot of time in this space and it's never been quite to my liking.

A few weeks ago, I updated the gallery wall and I think I like it.  I think.

BEFORE

How to add a little pizazz to a drab wall with no money, you ask?  Add stripes!

After measuring, leveling, and taping my lines, I used the base color paint (dark gray: Valspar Wet Pavement) and painted over the tape to seal the lines and prevent the lighter color from dripping under the tape.  I found the tip on a blog and it worked wonderfully.  I ended up with perfectly straight lines and hardly any drips. If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'.

I had left-over paint (Valspar Woodlawn Snow) from my kitchen update and used it as my contrasting color.

AFTER


This little update took me just over two hours start to finish including clean-up!  How's that for a mini-makeover without spending a penny!? 

Thanks for the challenge, Amanda


This post first appeared on Cultivate Create.

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhh... I can't believe what a difference the stripes make!! Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Elizabeth. I love the look too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love curtains in horizontal stripes too! They are going to look great. Post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Beautiful!! What a gorgeous addition to your already beautiful home. I love how paint can change everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! This is beautiful! I thought it was perfectly lovely before, but this really enhanced everything. Glad you decided to leave the wall hangings the same...they are SO pretty and tastefully arranged. You definitely have a knack for decorating and knowing how to blend things. So grateful for your visit to my blog today and so happy to meet you! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that is just too cute! I would have never even thought of enhancing that area as it was already so good looking. But, hats off to you and a job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that is such a great pop! i love it so much

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Looks even more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your gallery wall AND the stripes!!! :) Come do mine, okay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie -- your striped wall is making me even more excited (I'm going back and forth between two options -- decisions decisions). I'm loving your pretty house tour -- you have such great style! I hope you have a great week ahead sweet friend!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie