11.12.2013

from mirror to chalkboard

I promised a craft post...


Years and years ago, my grandmother gave me one of her old mirrors.  I think it was gold, I painted it brown (because everything was painted brown in 2003), and hung it above our bed.

Eventually, I updated the mirror a little with another coat of paint.  This time, I went with a metallic satin nickel.  

But along with everyone on pinterest, I'm in love with chalkboards, chalkboard art, typography, etc.  The wheels of change started to turn and I decided to transform the mirror once again.  This time it would reflect thoughts, art, typography, etc.

First, I dismantled the mirror.  I sprayed the frame a risky coat of cream. I decided to paint the back of the mirror instead of the mirror itself in case I decide to change it back later.

I gave the back of the mirror a quick coat of black spray primer/paint.

Next, I sprayed the mirror with several coats of chalkboard spray paint.

I searched images of chalkboard art because I lack creativitiy.

love simplistic chalk art most of all

so pretty.

I googled the pros and cons of chalk pens and regular chalk.  Several bloggers suggested using the tried and true Crayloa white chalk over the pens.  I went with the chalk, but I'm thinking the pens may have been a better choice for me (more precise).
You should know that I'm not an artist and I don't have pretty handwriting.  This project left me a tad frustrated.

I wanted to draw something semi-permanent on my board.  Not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed, but I fought off the urge to erase a ton of times.  I like my branches, but my "H" is crooked along with a few other add-ons.  It'll change eventually, but it'll do for now.

 There you have it--a mirror turned transformed into a chalkboard.

**********
Linking up: Craft Dictator 

10 comments:

  1. I think it looks excellent. My mom used to have a computer printed sign that hung on her back door that said "Martha Stewart does not live here." Nothing in this world is perfect.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Leslie! I've been wanting to try the chalk pins too. Love your design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think about the chalk pens. I've always wanted to try them. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog! I LOVE your ideas on here! Not sure why I am just now discovering your blog, but I am definitely adding it to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea. Don't be hard on yourself, this turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to do this. I have an old mirror that needs a renovation. Thanks for a great idea!
    Sami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Simple, but really makes a statement. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie