10.26.2013

Just a Closer Walk with Thee


In retrospect I should have started the 31 day series with this post, but for whatever reason I didn't.  Truthfully, I wouldn't be able to balance much of anything if it weren't for my Lord and my relationship with Him.  His guidance, love, patience, forgiveness--it's what keeps me grounded.

Recently, I've been leading a Bible study with a group of friends.  The question has been posed several times about how to read God's word--how to know He's there and feel His presence.  

Below is an excerpt from an email I sent my Bible study group about reading God's word:


**********
I was reading I John 2:7-11 and I was thinking about how the Lord reveals himself in this text.  By the way, that's a good way to look at scripture:  What is the Lord teaching you about Him? It's not all about us like we try to make it! 

Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard. At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because[a] the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him[b] there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

In this passage, the Lord revealed Himself  to me as Love, Teacher, Perfect Sacrifice, True, the Light, and Patient.  As I read, I was made more aware of my sin.  Through studying this text, He revealed these sins to me (amongst others): pride, lack of love, habitual sins, lies (because I say I love people, but don't always).  Then, I was able to go before the Lord in prayer and ask for help and forgiveness.  In turn, I was able to thank Him for His Word, His patience, His guidance, His truth, His love, His grace.  Finally, I made my request known to him:  I pray my kids would come to know the Truth, that I would love like Him, that I would be patient like Him, that I would be convicted of sin, and that I would be changed by His Word. 

Do you see what I mean about how God's word speaks to us?  In those few short verses He speaks and, in turn, I pray that He would change me, mold me, and use me for His glory. 

I understand how God can seem distant, but persistence is the key.  Take short passages and see how the Lord will reveal himself to you (don't make it all about you).  Then, turn around and praise His name, confess your sins, thank Him, and make your request known to Him.

I just wanted to share my heart and I pray that it helps y'all.  We can't ask to understand our Bibles more if they aren't open!  We have to be disciplined to sit down and read, take some time to ponder His words, and then see how the Lord reveals himself to us by asking questions like:  What are some adjectives that describe the Lord from this passage?  What are sins in my life that are revealed through reading this?  How can I change? 


**********

I pray...

Create in me a clean heart, O God,  and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
I am weak, but Thou art strong,
Jesus, keep me from all wrong,
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.
**********

Up next: Rest Time

For more posts in this series, 31 Days of Balance as a Homeschool Mom, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie