7.18.2012

Around the House


*Warning:  Be prepared, this post is full of my ramblings, ideas for the future, and random thoughts.  I apologize in advance.  Sincerely, Yours Truly.

I've struggled with my design style for a while.  I've often described my style as traditional and that may have been true at one point, but I don't think that's a good description of my style now.  I like elements that are contemporary, rustic, country, and traditional.  Do you get the picture???????  No? Hmmm...I love World Market, West Elm, Pottery Barn, Anthropologie, thrift store finds, etc.  I really like Craftsman style and Ranch style homes, but we live in a SUPER traditional home...out in the country.  With that said, I want to mix traditional, rustic, contemporary, and country all in to one awesome style without being too eclectic.  Can it be done?

Now that the house is officially ours, we have started the LONG journey of making this house a home.  I've had several folks ask me to post pics, but I'm reluctant--it's not ready...not even close.  Over the past week, I've made a few minor changes that I will share.  Promise me this:  keep and open mind.

Here goes:

**The grand plan would be for us to paint our brick a nice smokey gray with bright white trim, a red paneled door, and black shutters.  One can dream and it may even happen. For now, I've painted our existing front door, which I'm not crazy about, black (because I had a left over can of paint from an old project).


Some planters with fern would be grand, but it's hot in East Texas and I've already told you that plants come to me to die!  I have some friends from church that say they can help me so hopefully next Spring we will tackle our yard and porches.

**The kitchen needs some work: counter tops, maybe a butcher block island, a few new appliances.  Time and money, time and money, people. We will get to it someday.

For Christmas, I added white lights above the cabinets and loved it.  I decided to keep them, but I had a white extension cord tacked to the side of the cabinet.  Have I ever mentioned that I LOATHE CORDS!?!?  This weekend, my dad did some electrical work and added a switch by the sink that turns on my lights.  It looks so nice.  He did it for both sides of the kitchen and I'm in love.  No cords!!!!

Remember:  don't judge!  I have MUCH work to do in this space.  I'm not a fan of what I've got going on above the cabinets.  I'm thinking...less is more.  

**At one time I upcycled a print and put it above a leather bench.  Remember that?  It never grew on me and now it's hanging out in the attic.  I moved a vignette of pictures I had beside the piano over a different bench and like it much better.  Over time, I would like to gather some old photos of  our family (my Gran's sweet 16 picture is lovely, Graham's grandparents' army photos, a b&w of my nanna hanging out on the beach, and a few I've spotted of Graham's mamaw)  It will take some time to get those pictures together, but I'm excited to go on a picture hunt. I mentioned all of that so my family members can keep their eyes peeled!

**When I moved the pictures to a different wall, it left a big spot beside the piano.  I took The Nester's advice and tried a little abstract painting.  The canvas was SUPER cheap and I had all of the paints from other projects.  I used paint, stain, spray paint, etc.  I like it, but I think it needs something more.  What to do? What to do?


I like how it fills the space, but it may be a bit too bare for my taste.  I'll keep you posted.

**Out with the BRASS...My mom and dad were too kind to update our door handles as a house warming gift.  What a difference this change has made.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Umm...if you stayed with me through my ramblings--thank you, kindly.  We have lots more to do.  It's exciting and overwhelming, but I'm sure I'll give updates periodically.  Not promising it won't be random like this post...sorry.

Before I leave you, here's a little teaser of some more renovations to come:
Should I keep it? 
I jest.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you have done! And I'm so glad you shared the pictures. The front door really pops, and the door knobs are beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person. Love ya, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cherub thing could work. Guess it kind of depends on what it is. I like your house now that it is your home. Or I always liked it. I also love the lighting in your sink area.
    I don't have one particular "taste" I go with what I call ecletic decorating.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie