12.19.2011

Brown Sugar Pound Cake {in a jar}

First off, I must give props to my wonderful mother-in-love, Renee.  She gave me this great recipe and I have to share it because it is easy and makes an excellent gift!

Brown-Sugar Pound Cake
(in a jar)

You will need pint sized jars.  *Make sure they are wide mouth jars or the cake won't come out.*

Clean the jars and make sure they are completely dry.  Coat the jars with Baker's Joy.  I sprayed the inside of each jar and then rubbed it in with a paper towel.
Here are the ingredients:

1 lb. box of light brown sugar
1 cup of milk
1 cup of white sugar
3 cups of all-purpose flour
6 medium eggs
1/4 cup of vegetable or canola oil
1 cup chopped pecans
2 sticks of soften butter
2 tsp Vanilla ( I used Mexican vanilla)
Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl--I used a hand mixer.  Pre-heat oven to 350.
Once the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, fill the jars a little over half-way full.  I was able to fill 7 jars with the the batter.  Clean off the rim of the jar with a paper towel.

Place the jars on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for and hour and a half.


You will notice the cake rise and some will rise out of the jar.  This freaked me out, but it is normal.  They will shrink a bit and you will push the rest of the cake in with the lid....no worries!
When the cakes are finished baking, take one jar out at a time.  Make sure the rim of the jar is completely clean and then firmly press the lid to the jar (pushing down the cake) then tightly twist the ring.

In about 30 minutes the cakes should be completely sealed in the jar (there won't be a bubble when you press on the the lid if they sealed correctly)  If they didn't seal properly--it's okay. They should last about a week.  If they did seal, then they should be good for about a year.
Once they have cooled, fancy them up how ever you like!!!


When you are ready to eat the cake, it should just fall right out!!   
It tastes wonderful and it's great with a cup of coffee!!!

4 comments:

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie