3.08.2011

A Cooking Post

Are you shocked!?!  Well, since I've been home with the kids this year, I have been able to dedicate a lot more time to trying new recipes. I found this recipe and tweaked it a bit. We LOVE it!

Deep-Dish Pizza Casserole

1 (15-ounce) can of tomato sauce
1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
1 (8-ounce) package sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 pound ground beef (I use extra lean--a little chewier, but better for ya)
I also add turkey pepperoni, Italian-diced tomatoes, and black olives

While the meat cooks...
Coat 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Unroll pizza crust and press into bottom and up the sides of dish
Lay a couple of slices of cheese on crust

Add tomato sauce to meat when it is cooked and drained.  Drain the tomatoes very well--no extra juice. I cut the pepperonis into thin strips.  Add the tomatoes and pepperonis to the sauce and meat mixture. Pour mixture into the crust.
Bake, uncovered, at 425 for 12 minutes.  Top with 6 or 7 slices of cheese (I added some black olives), and bake 5 additional minutes or until crust is browned and cheese melts.  Cool 5 minutes before serving.
This meal is only about 277 calories per serving.  Too bad, we typically eat like 3 servings at once. 
Delish!  Let me know if you try it.  I'd love to know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try that! It looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look delicious!!! I am definitly going to try this!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to 86 the olives and give that a try... seems like you could do tons of experimenting with the ingredients. Mushrooms, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound good. I wonder how many points it would be on Weight Watchers. Also, the size of the serving might be a problem. I really do like pizza, so I've been steering clear of it for fear I might overindulge. (Like yesterday, at a school breakfast--by the time I calculated points for the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuit and a tiny bit of gravy, plus orange juice, I was at 23 points out of a daily ration of 33.)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie