10.20.2013

Taking Time for Play


Kids need to be outside!  Kids need to run!  Kids need to get dirty!  Kids need to sweat!  Kids need to pretend!  Kids need to explore!

Now I'm no child psychologist (ahem...obviously), but I can tell you that kids need to play!  It's part of being a kid.  I'm not against video games and TV time--my kids enjoy both.  But actual play--outside time, exploring, pretending; that's where the fun truly is!

One of the things that bothered me as an elementary school teacher was the lack of  "play time" allowed for students.   It's regulated from the top down and teacher's hands are tied.  Test scores rule our schools.  I get it.  But 15 minutes of recess and 40 minutes of P.E. a week is not enough time for a kid to be a kid.

Balancing Principle:  play everyday



Poor Edy sweats just like her daddy!

AG's hair gets curlier and curlier with every stride!

On your mark, get set, go!



 All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy! 

**********
 Up next: Weekly To-Do List

For more posts in this series, 31 Days of Balance as a Homeschool Mom, click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie