8.20.2013

First Grade

Although we had "school" throughout the summer off and on, we officially started back up yesterday.

Even homeschoolers need "first day" pics!
 

We are excited to start the Classical Conversations group this year.  It will be every Monday and provide memory work, fine arts, science projects, presentations, and time with other kiddos.  We are looking forward to it.  I'm especially pumped about it because I'll  finally get together with other homeschooling moms and have an outlet.  I've felt as if I'm on an island all by my lonesome.  Yes, there are many homeschoolers in our area, but there aren't as many going the classical route. 

I know there are many strong opinions on public education vs. homeschooling and vice versa.  I get asked about my decision to homeschool frequently.  I can't say that I was PRO homeschool from the moment I had kids.  In the beginning, I really didn't even considered it as an option.  It wasn't until we moved to Texas that the decision to homeschool was a no-brainer. I even fought it off for the first few years as I explored every.single.other.option to no avail.

Although the educators in our area are top-notch and I have complete confidence in their ability to educate my kiddos, there are other situations/circumstances/legistics/whatever you want to call them that have led to our decision to homeschool.   After much prayer, support from others, and long discussions, we came to the decision to school at home. I don't understand why that decision offends people, but it does--it absolutely does.

How long will you homeschool?  I get asked that a lot.  Apparently, it's thought one would eventually give-up, change her mind, and integrate her kids into the public school system.  Honestly, I don't know how long we will go this route.  It's my belief that we will homeschool for good, but I can't say for certain. We are taking it year by year.

I would love to connect with other homeschooling families.  Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions, tips, or links to helpful homeschooling blogs, materials, etc.  I would also love to hear from all of you homeschooling moms with blogs that I can follow--link in so we can stay connected.

Click HERE for last year's first day.

3 comments:

  1. I can't remember how I originally came across your blog, but have been reading ever since. We are eerily similar. My husband and I have 3 kids, 5, 3 and 3 mos. We live in Shreveport, LA and have begun to homeschool. I have found your blog to be an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Elizabeth. I'm always interested in connecting with my readers. It is so cool that we have so many similarities. Hope your adjustment with 3 has been smooth. We have our ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade it for the world! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. She looks adorable :)

    www.vindiebaby.com
    Vintage Inspired Girls

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie