1.29.2013

{vintage} state plates

This idea is all over Pinterest:  DIFFERENT WAYS TO DISPLAY STATES YOU'VE LIVED IN
Of course, like everyone else, I liked the idea and pinned several printables that I had every intention of using.  Then...time got away from me and....nothing.  

So...
I never did anything with those printables.  I got to thinking that it may look thrown together if I attempted printing and framing.  In keeping with my 2013 home goals, I wanted to add a 'point of interest'  in my home by displaying the states in which we've lived.  Also, sticking to the goals: don't buy new--find more treasures, I began to look on ETSY and Ebay for *vintage (see footnote) state plates.  I found a plethora of them and, other than the shipping, these plates were really inexpensive.  

*displayed in the kitchen*
 
 
*vintage* - What's up with this word?  It's like everyone is using it, but I'm left to wonder--what happened to antique? old?   When do I use vintage vs. antique vs. retro.   I did a little research (because I'm weird like that!)  Care to know?  Mmmmm-k...yeah, I'm telling you anyway.  

These plates are actually vintage because I know the date in which they were made.  (i.e. 1960s vintage Mississippi plate).  Antique mostly refers to anything old and can mean the item is over 100 years old although that rule gets muddy when it comes to certain items.  Retro refers to something that has been revived or it relates to styles, especially fashions, of the past.

Aren't you glad you read this post?  C'mon.  If you're like me and have been wondering about these terms,  you can put this question to rest.  You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I love maps, and vintage maps/state stuff. Cute post. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie