8.16.2012

detergent

*This post has been in the 'draft mode' for over a month and I have neglected to post it.  I still use this detergent and love it.  It's tried and true.

There are TONS and TONS and TONS of detergent recipes floating around Pinterest and I'm sure they are great.  I have a friend in Arkansas who made me the following recipe a few years ago and I loved it then and still love it now.  I'm sharing it--mainly because I want to have a record of it for the future.

This recipe is GREAT for people with sensitive skin.  Uhh...that would be me and pretty much my whole family.


Ingredients:
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/3 bar Fels Naptha Laundry Bar Soap, grated (I used a cheese grater.  Walmart now carries this soap on the 'laundry detergent aisle'.)
  • 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 
  • 1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
  • 2 gallon bucket
  • 2-one gallon containers (milk jug, liquid laundry soap container, juice container, etc.)

Directions:
  1. Mix grated soap in a large saucepan or pot with 6 cups of hot water and heat on the stove over LOW heat until dissolved. Don't get it too hot because it won't mix well later.  Do not allow to boil.  
  2. Stir in the Super Washing Soda and Borax.  Stir until the mixture thickens and remove from heat.  
  3. Pour  4 cups of hot water into the bucket.  
  4. Pour in soap mixture and stir
  5. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir
  6. Pour into containers
*shake detergent before using 
*mixture will be a little bit lumpy and look kind of like egg whites
*spot treat clothing before washing
*use 1/2 cup per load

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie