3.18.2014

TIPS For a Better Looking Fireplace


To all my friends with wood-burning fireplaces: 
When winter ends and spring begins, the fireplace takes on a dreary appearance.  You know this, don't your?!  Not only is it soot covered and dirty, it's also empty, lonely, and a bit of an eyesore.

For years, I haven't really given it much thought. Something has been off, but I've not stopped to think about why! I've decorated my mantel for the changing seasons, but just chalked-up the ugly cavity below as part of it!

Recently, I took a long look at the fireplace--like really looked at it.  I thought, Oh my! that's ugly--really ugly!!!  Once I came to that place of realization, I was able to get my plan together and set it into motion.

TIP 1:  Clean out the fireplace.  

It goes without saying, but get rid of all the winter's ashes, wood, and soot!

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!

TIP 2:  Store the fireplace gear in the attic until next year.


I cannot tell you how many years my fireplace tools, grate, and screen have been propped up on the hearth during spring and summer for no reason--no purpose at all but to collect dust.  I'm not the only one that does this either.  Many of us leave these items out because we just don't think about it.  WHY is that?  How hard is it to take these things to the garage, attic, or shed until they are actually needed? Get them out!!!

Better?  Sort of.  

TIP 3: Paint the inside of the fireplace.

I mean, really?  That is U-G-L-Y!
  I will never understand why these fireplace inserts are white.  


Yes, that's spray paint!  No worries!  I simply opened the windows for lots of ventilation, threw down a drop cloth to protect the hearth (I didn't have any messes), and lightly sprayed the three walls.  It only took one light coat and a grand total of FIVE minutes!  FIVE minutes, y'all!!

TIP 4:  Fill the fireplace with something natural!


I chose some nice, round logs to fill my fireplace--big pinecones, a basket, a tumbleweed, some candles, or something natural would work beautifully!  Get creative!


I hope these tips helped to get the wheels of change turning in your head!!  Here's to a spring with interesting fireplaces.  NO MORE EYESORES!
Linking up: A Stroll Thru Life:  Inspire Me Tuesday, The Dedicated House, Craft Frenzy Friday

11 comments:

  1. Totally just pinned this!!!! Thank you for these tips! It's our first time with a wood burning fireplace...and BOY is ours piled with ashes right now. THANK YOU!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this helps!! Like I said, it wasn't something I figured out over night. Finally, after years of a messy fireplace, I got a clue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leslie! I just you for the Liebster Award! nominhttp://blissandblundersofanewlywed.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-award.htmlated Can't wait to hear your responses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Leslie! I just nominated you for the Liebster Award! I can't wait to hear your responses!

    Here is the link! http://blissandblundersofanewlywed.blogspot.com/2014/03/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat @ MaryMarthaMama.comMarch 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM

    So much better after you painted it black! One day I hope to have a fire place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouseMarch 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM

    Leslie, that is fantastic! I so need to do this! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House about my painted piano! It means the world! Feel free to share this fab post at my two parties which are currently live. Make it Pretty Monday http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/03/make-it-pretty-monday-week-93.html and Before and After Wednesday http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/03/before-and-after-wednesday-week-10.html Hope to see you at a bash or two! Happy Day to You! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Cat. It made all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly would never have thought to spray paint the inside of the fireplace! Genius!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie