3.20.2014

Kitchen Mini-Makeover

Over Spring Break, while my kids were with their grandparents, I made some changes in my kitchen.  All in all, the changes were minor, but they really changed and updated the look of the place.  

Before pics:
The color, Valspar: Prairie Days,  was wearing me out!  I've wanted something lighter and brighter.  Also, after lots of Pinterest browsing, I decided to paint the lower cabinets.

The new colors:
These colors are much darker on this virtual swatch than in person: Woodlawn Snow for the walls and Oregon Dunes for the lower cabinets.

Inspiration:
*Drumroll Please*

I just love the lighter walls! It's a little hard to see the contrast of the lower cabinets in these photos, but the change is really nice.

I really like how my dining chairs pop against the lighter wall.  Before, they were camouflaged against the yellow-beige walls.

I didn't do anything new or special with my decor.  I liked it before, so why spend money changing it!?  If it ain't broke...


I made some new curtains.  I'm a sucker for IKAT!

I like how my barstools look against my freshly painted cabinets.  *Again, it's hard to see the update in these pictures.


A little better pic of the contrast between the lower and upper cabinets

If you scroll up to the 'before pics', you'll see that the counter tops merge with the cabinetry.  They looked really dingy and dirty before, but the new paint made all the difference!





My "no-sew" valances--I'll be sharing more on these in an upcoming post.




One last before and after:

BEFORE

AFTER

Up next:
  • tips for painting cabinetry:  going from oil-based paint to latex paint
  • no-sew valances
Did you get to check out my guest post over at Nikki's Nacs?  If not, head over there to get the details on how I did all of these kitchen updates for just under $200!

**********
Linking up: Dimples and Tangles: Best of Nest, Craft Dictator, It's Overflowing

22 comments:

  1. I love it! I love your style, girlie! All of your accessories are so sweet and intentional too...I love them!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable! Looks fresh, clean, classic and inviting. What's for dinner? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie! I love it! Your decor is so beautiful! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so nice!! Love your table and that wall of plates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Elise! I'm so happy with the simple change! What a difference some paint can make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much!! I wish I was as good a cook as painter! Ha! But I new, fresh kitchen can help me along in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Lindsey! I am so happy to have a fresh change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, April! That table has been with us a long time and it's gone through a couple of makeovers of it's own! It has been a great addition to our kitchen all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing! Great job, Les!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cat @ MaryMarthaMama.comMarch 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM

    It looks great! Your dinning room is nice too...I especially love the garland across the mirror- Did you make that? I love the little pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much!! So happy to have it done and I have enough paint to repaint the laundry room and the girls bathroom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I like the changes. That yarn garland my sister made, but she wouldn't mind me telling you...it sounds super duper easy: styrofoam balls covered in yarn and strung on a heavy duty line or some kind. Simple enough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those barstools are fabulous!! And where is that wood bowl from?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful before and after! Especially those puckered lips and bright eyes in the frame:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Lisa. That wood bowl was a gift for Christmas. Isn't it wonderful? I will check with my aunt and see where she purchased it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much, Ms. Bonnie! I have always adored that photo of my firstborn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leslie, it's beautiful! What a wonderful space to enjoy! And for how much time gets spent in the kitchen, you deserve to have a space that you love! I also have to tell you, I had a good laugh at the bio next to your picture about never...fill in the blank. Because I never thought I would want to be at home...here I am at home without kids! I have also said I never wanted to homeschool but I am biting my tongue on that what knowing the history of saying I will "never!" Proof that God's plans are better than ours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Ashley!! Isn't that funny how are plans change as we mature! I'm holding on to the firm NO on the "mom jeans" though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cat @ MaryMarthaMama.comMarch 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM

    Thanks for the info on the garland. I'm adding to my list of future things I need to make... you know, after I work through my current pile of in progress projects on my craft table :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! What a beautiful simple update! I think it looks fabulous!!! I love the look of darker lower cabinets! And I love the lighter color you chose for the walls! It really brightens up the room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Julie!! What a sweet compliment. I'm loving the changes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kris {Driven by Décor}March 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM

    Great update! Your kitchen looks lighter and brighter and the color on the walls really shows off the beautiful design of your dining chairs. Love your plate wall too :) Thanks for linking up to Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie