1.30.2012

Revamp an Old Canvas Painting

I've been getting brave--remember my home goals post?  

I focused on these two goals when I did this project:
  1. I'm not going to be scared to do what I like 
  2. I'm going to be frugal
How many of you have a canvas "painting" just hanging around that sparks no interest and just fills a space to fill a space?  I DO!!!! I DO!!!!

I got a wild-hair (do people still say that?) and took some initiative, didn't worry about messing up, and I think I made something sort-of nice.  By the way, I didn't steal this one from Pinterest!!  Yay for using my own mind! 


[before]

Step One:  I painted over the "painting" with black spray paint (Chalkboard paint would be cute if you wanted to take this project in a different direction.)
*tip:  My painting had texture, but it wasn't in any certain shape.  If you have a painting where the brush strokes are raised, you will need to sand them down so the design doesn't show through.

Step Two:  After the paint dried, I covered it up with paper and painters tape and spray painted the frame a creamy white.


Step Three:  When I peeled off the tape and paper, I had some spots where the spray paint leaked a bit.  I took a black Sharpie marker and touched it up.

Step four:  I painted the canvas.  I free-handed the word faithfulness with a paint pen and then stenciled the rest of the words with acrylic craft paint and a sponge.



Step Five:  I touched up the mess-ups with a black paint pen.


 So..........it's not perfect.  I can pick out about five things I wish I could fix, but that's not inline with my goals, right?




15 comments:

  1. You are sooo smart! I love the picture. Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic - You know, you could open your OWN business!!! Love you, Aunt Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love painting over old pictures and paintings. i just did this for my living room makeover. Thanks for linking up at Cowgirl Up! Hope to see you next week!
    Thanks,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea! Nicely executed, too.
    Another Texas girl,
    -Revi (a new follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog tonight, I thought I'd do the same and enjoy yours too. What a great project- wonderful job with the painting! I love the message of jumping in and not letting fear or worry hold you back. Great inspiration, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This project looks fantastic. Nice job upcycling :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too Cute!! I love it! Thanks so much for linking up!!


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..this came out fabulous...I would never have thought to use a sharpie!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your idea, but especially love what your said. "Great is thy Faithfullness unto me" Thanks for sharing.

    Have a God Filled Day
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it all. If I waited for perfection, I would have NOTHING! Great idea! I have about 20 or so canvas covered blocks from Pottery Barn with initials on them that I've been hoarding to paint over...I might steal your lyrics. One of my favorite hymns. I saw you at The Painted Pear Linky party...will be following you. Hope you come visit and follow too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Haha, it really can be hard to come up with all-original ideas now that pinterest exists! (I'm visiting from the Nester's linkup, btw. Nice to "meet" you! Cute blog! Love the overall design and especially the title.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you love not being perfect? I do!! I'm your newest imperfect linky follower-stop by for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You free-handed "faithfulness"??? You did a wonderful job. If I could only hand write like that I wouldn't always need stencils. Your canvas looks great and I am going to try this. I know this is an older post but I found you on Craftberry Bush and I am now a new follower. I'm a new blogger and hope you can visit some time.
    Mel
    craftymeldesigns

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment.

For our joy and His glory,

Leslie